November "To Do" List

I can't believe we're almost in November. This year has gone by faster than any other year.  (I'm sure it's my age -- there, I said it...thought I'd save you all some time!)  In two short months we will be in 2010. Where did the last ten months go?

As if I don't have enough on my plate already, I've decided to participate in NaNoWriMo (click on the link to learn more about it) this year.  That is the main thing on my November "To Do" list.  For those of you who aren't familiar with National November Writing Month, it's actually a huge deal out there in the literary (and internet) world.  It's basically a 30 day marathon for writers to try and get at least 50,000 words written in that designated amount of time.  Not a small feat.  

My reason for doing NaNoWriMo is this: there's another story in my head that has been driving me crazy.  I have a bit of work left to do on I'll Love You Until (Am I procrastinating, you ask?  No. Well maybe a little bit. But not really.), so I figured I'd take advantage of NaNoWriMo (though I doubt I'll make it even close to 50,000 words, but at least this way I can get everything written down and stored in one place).  Plus it's a fun contest and there's a large chance I will meet more writers in my area, so why not try it, right?  The contest rules are simple.  If you reach 50,000 words by the end of the month, you're a winner. Tah-dah!  

Are you all at least a teeny bit curious about the other story I have brewing? (Well even if you aren't, I'm still going to give you the title. But that's it. Unless you offer me chocolate or coffee, in which case, I just might not be able to control myself and hopefully I'll be able to keep from blurting out the ending.  Oh wait -- I don't know the ending yet -- whew! I'm safe!)  It's called "They Don't Make Fur Coats in Camouflage". Quite catchy, don't you think?  (I can totally hear it now, people saying that in coffee shops and book stores and texting "TDMFCIC" on their phones, and then everybody busting up about the awesome inside joke that *yours truly* started and...okay sorry about that... I'm getting a little ahead of myself.) 

So NaNoWriMo is the first item on my agenda.  The second is getting "I'll Love You Until" polished and ready for one last critique before the final editing process.  And then queries! Hopefully the step of querying agents will begin before the first of the year.  That's my goal anyway.

My last "To Do" item is Christmas shopping. I love Christmas. It's my favorite time of year. Giving to friends, family and others is so fun and exciting.  Having my shopping completely done before the first of December would be awesome. We'll see. 

What is on your November agenda?  How many of you are participating in NaNoWriMo, and if so, what is the reason?  Is it your first time, or are you a pro already?  Is there anyone out there having books published around the end of the year or beginning of next year?  I'm pouring some virtual coffee as I type this and would love to hear what everyone else has on their November plates.  (Well not really, don't try to visualize that because obviously it won't work. I may be a mother of three, but I can't do the impossible.)  So anyway, come on over and spill it! (Your latest news, not your coffee!)  

6 comments:

Liana Brooks said...

November this year is NaNo, again. I'm doing a dark urban fantasy tentatively titled Dungeon Crawl for no better reason than it reminds me of a dungeon crawl video game: lots of violence and explosions and a plot of some kind.

Thanksgiving is in there too. As is a Christmas play. And probably some form of Christmas shopping and decorating.

Now.... what's the plot of TDMFCIC???

Anita said...

I like that title! Gosh, my mind went everywhere trying to figure out what it could be about.

How exciting...you're almost ready for queries!

Your mention of Christmas shopping is throwing a major suggestion to me. I pledge to do better this year with the shopping...gotta get it done early, like you! :)

Jessica L. Brooks (coffeelvnmom) said...

Well Liana, I'll say what I posed on my NaNoWriMo profile. It's going to be about a man, a cat, and that's about all I know right now. =) See, aren't you glad you asked? LOL And yours sounds mighty full of stuff! Exciting!

Anita, I have a problem with shopping and storing things in my closet. It actually works to my benefit when Christmas comes around because I have less shopping to do (although my closet is always packed full of stuff, which a lot of times is rather inconvenient);)

Tamika: said...

My November is a plate full of NaNo! My first year and I am elated.

There are so many wonderful moments waiting for me in November, besides winning the contest (please Lord), my wedding anniversary, and my husband's birthday. Lest I forget Thanksgiving. This is my favorite time of the year.

Happy writing!

Jessica L. Brooks (coffeelvnmom) said...

Well happy early anniversary Tamika! And good luck with NaNoWriMo!

Elisabeth Black said...

Go girl! I'll be participating in NaNoWriMo, too, though I doubt I'll do 50K.

And did you just say the C-word? I'm having heart palpitations (we have a huge extended family).

Congrats on your next-to-last revision. Mine is nowhere in sight.