February's Reader Interview -- Asma from IceyBooks


Welcome to Reader Interviews, an exciting new feature the last Friday of every month here at Let Me Tell You A Story
 photo 99e7de32-6f77-46fd-aaf5-d3a9345f63b2.jpg
This week's reader is Asma from IceyBooks! *cue applause* (Or, should I say, ap-paws?!?!?! Get it? Cat pun! Ahem. Moving on...) I love  Asma's reviews (including the dual reviews with her sister, Hafsah), and she recently started a new meme called Once Upon a Gif that's pretty cool, too! Her blog bio:
Girl. 13. Sister. Homeschooled Student. Reviewer. Book Blogger. Cat Lover.

Asma began reviewing for her sister’s blog in summer of 2011, when life just got way too boring. Now, she has more books that she can keep track of and reads more than she expected to when she applied for the job. Not that she can complain.
If you see Asma’s profile anywhere on the web, she will be depicted as a cat. Because, frankly, she is obsessed with cats. It might be becoming a problem.

Thanks for being here, Asma! And now on to the interview! :)
Judging by the books you tend to squee over at IceyBooks, I’d say you enjoy fantasy most, or at least books with fantastical elements. Is this true? Why or why not?
Well, mainly because fantasy books are awesome :P But I love made up worlds, with lands that don't exist elsewhere, characters you can't find anywhere else, and usually a plot that screams action and magic. That's what makes a fantasy novel unique and different.  

Name one of your favorite male characters and tell us what makes him stand out.
Hmmm, how am I supposed to choose? I mean there's Legolas, the Darkling, James from THE PROGRAM. But if I had to choose from those three, I'd say the Darkling. What I really love about him is that he finds a way to get over every obstacle, and well, he sort of has a special aura about him. Oh yeah, and he's incredibly good-looking ;)

Now, a favorite female character. What made her so special?  
I'd say Kestrel from THE WINNER'S CURSE (which I LOVED), she's independent, strong, and lovable.  

Do you like to see the author's version of his/her characters (like when they share a dream cast, for instance) or do you prefer to see the character the way you've imagined them? 
I don't mind getting a different view on characters, but if they look nothing like the character I pictured in my mind... I just really hope that's not how they were meant to be.

I recently read a series where the secondary character is so fun and realistic that readers have expressed they'd like to have him as their very own friend. Have you ever connected with a secondary character in this way? If so, who was it, and what made them so special?
I do have a few secondary characters that I loved a lot.  One of them would be Sturmhound from SIEGE AND STORM, I would love to hang out with him. He's funny, charming, never gives up, and strong. 

As a blogger, you have the opportunity to get your hands on tons of retellings. Aside from your recent co-gushing post about Cruel Beauty (by Rosamund Hodge) with Hafsah, name another retelling you loved. What elements stuck with you most?
CINDER by Marissa Meyer, I LOVE this series (The Lunar Chronicles) so far. I love how it's a combination of fairytales, sci-fi, and a little bit of fantasy. And pretty much all the characters are lovable, unique, and important.  

I’m sure you have other hobbies besides reading and writing. Tell us something you enjoy that we never would have guessed by reading your blog.
I'm trying to learn coding in my spare time, because I want to be a programmer when I grow up. Part time writer and programmer :D 
I also like baking!

Name the most recent book that made you laugh:
THE HERO'S GUIDE TO BEING AN OUTLAW by Christopher Healy. I'm still reading it (I've only read like ten pages), but it is HILARIOUS, just like the rest of the series. I love the entire idea of the trilogy. I mean, come on, haven't you ever wondered why every Prince is called Charming? 

How about a book you didn’t think you would like, but ended up being pleasantly surprised by?
There a few books that I was sure I would dislike, but the one that turned out to be a favorite was THE PROGRAM by Suzanne Young. I read that it was about depression and suicide, so yeah, I was rather reluctant. But in the end it was awesome. 

A lot of us readers like to save our favorite quotes. Do you have one you would like to share? (If so, please tell us what book it is from and state the author.) 
“Sometimes, to regain sanity, one had to acknowledge and embrace the madness.” - REBEL SPRINGS by Morgan Rhodes. I've got quite a few favorites, but this is one that always stood out to me.

  
1st or 3rd person -- do you have a preference?
Not really, as long as the characters can grow on me and are well done, it doesn't matter ;) 
  
Favorite cover of all time:
I'm not sure, but one of my faves would be THIS DARK ENDEAVOR by Kenneth Oppel. I have yet to read the book, but I love the vintage key hole and the boy you can see through it. (I have a thing for knee-length black coats).

What's the strangest storyline you’ve read and why:
I'd say THE WINNER'S CURSE, she buys the boy. Not exactly something you see in your everyday YA. 
  
Do you collect anything? (Besides books, of course.)
Haha, I collect stamps. I wouldn't say my collection is impressive but I'm getting there. I also collect coins I'm almost through with my 50-states and I have an Arabic Dinar, several South American coins, Canadian coins, and a few other coins from across the world. 

Favorite snack food? 
Ummmm, I'd say potato chips. I don't really have any favorite though.

Tell us the worst ever cliffhanger (can be a series you have or have not yet finished):
THE EVOLUTION OF MARA DYER by Michelle Hodkin. I love the books, but I hated that ending. I still do.  

If you were to meet your favorite author, what would you ask them?
I'm not sure I'll remember how to speak :P

Name a character you would hate to be stranded with on a deserted island.
I'm aiming for any character who looks good. Because in most books, the person the main character is stuck with, they end up falling in love with, too. And I wouldn't want to fall in love with someone utterly ugly, y'know? Good-looking and good-hearted. *goes through list* Do I really have to choose?

There are a LOT of books coming out this spring. List one (or two or three) you are looking forward to being released:
THE RETRIBUTION OF MARA DYER by Michelle Hodkin, because of the second one's ending.
DOROTHY MUST DIE by Danielle Paige
DREAMS OF GODS AND MONSTERS by Laini Taylor. I haven't read the first two yet, but I've heard great things, and I think I'll save myself from any emotional rollercoasters (I'm looking at you, Michelle Hodkin), by waiting for the third.


Well, I think that concludes today's interro--I mean, reader interview! Thanks for sharing your love of books with us, Asma! Happy reading! 
 

ABOUT ASMA

Asma is a cat-loving co-blogger at IceyBooks. She's a 13 year old homeschooler who spends her time blogging (obviously), reading, and whatever else strikes her fancy.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

AW this was so fun to read! I've chatted with Hasfsah a couple times. But never Asma. She seems like someone I would totally get along with ! We love the same books, hate the same cliff hangers and favorite genre is Fantasy! Can't wait to read some of her reviews! Thanks for sharing the interview!