March's Reader Interview -- Beighley T. from The Sarcastic Palm Tree


Welcome to Reader Interviews, a monthly feature here at Let Me Tell You a Story.
 photo 99e7de32-6f77-46fd-aaf5-d3a9345f63b2.jpg

This month's reader is Beighley from The Sarcastic Palm Tree

Hi, Beighley! You co-blog with your mom at The Sarcastic Palm Tree. How long have you been actively blogging about books, and what got you started doing it?

Well… I think I’ve only reviewed one or two books/authors total.  She handles more of that side of the blog.  I got started because author extraordinaire Tiffany King kept on telling us we should do a blog so when my mom asked I said okay.  I really wanted to do it to try to help out the lesser known authors get their name out there because some of their books are better than published ones.

Most readers have that *one* book (or perhaps that *one* series) they can attribute to pulling them into the love they have for reading today. Do you have one? If so, what is it, how old were you, and what are a few things that you appreciated about it?

For me, I’ve been reading the Harry Potter series since I was six or seven, but that was really the only thing I was interested in reading.  I probably owe a lot to Twilight only because of two reasons:

1.    It was what pulled my mom in to reading, and that automatically will help influence the family into doing it as well
2.    If it wasn’t for Stephenie Meyer recommending The Hunger Games, which is MY official series that got me into reading, I probably wouldn’t have liked it the same because I would’ve joined in on it when the movie came out.

Name a favorite male character. What made him stand out?

As far as I can remember, Dobby from Harry Potter was always one of my most favorite characters!  He is almost so indescribable.  I guess I love how he is so innocent all the time and he will do everything in his power to protect the people he loves (i.e. Harry).

How about female? What made her so special?

One of my many favorites would be Emery from American Girl On Saturn.  She reminds me so much of my younger sister who’s about the same age.  She is a huge Directioner and I know that if One Direction came to live at my house she would be all over them like Emery.  When I read anything with her in it I felt like my sister jumped right out of the pages. 

Name the most recent book that made you laugh:

American Girl On Saturn by Nikki Godwin

What merits a book making its way onto your personal favorites list?

1.    It must have me on the edge of my seat
2.    I have to force myself to put the book down (or close my kindle)
3.    The style of writing has a great effect on whether or not it makes it

Favorite series, and why: 

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

This is the series that got me into reading.  I had to wait for EACH BOOK to be released and that was PAINFUL (if you’ve seen Catching Fire, you’d know that).  For some twisted reason, I always found it interesting and I liked the fact I was always on the edge of my seat page after page.  I could go on and on about why I love this series so much!

What is the first thing you read when you get a book? (Blurb, acks, et cetera.)

If it’s a hardcover, I’ll normally read the little blurb on the sleeve inside, but otherwise I’ll normally just start reading the book.

Name a character you'd hate to be stranded with on a deserted island.

Effie Trinket from The Hunger Games Trilogy.  This probably doesn’t need an explanation for those who read the book.  I wouldn’t like to be stranded with her because she would be dead weight on an island.  She has no knowledge on survival even though she’s watched lots of Hunger Games.  All she’d probably do is complain and there’s no way she would do anything to help contribute to survival, she’d probably rather die anyway.  As much as I’d be saying “I can’t believe I’m on an island with EFFIE TRINKET!!!” that feeling would go away after a few minutes because of all the stuff I just said. 

Share a couple of books you're looking forward to reading in 2014.

Rough Waters by Nikki Godwin
City of Heavenly Fire by Cassandra Clare

Favorite #amreading snack?

I don’t eat while reading actual books, but I will eat fruit loops, apple slices, or some pretzels.  

Name one character you would never in a million years want to trade places with.

I would pick pretty much anyone from The Hunger Games for obvious reasons.  All the victors, for example, are taken out of their lives and forced into this horrible setting.  This causes them to live with the horror of the arena for the rest of their life.  I don’t think I would want to live with the PTSD.

If someone borrowed your books, what's the first thing they would notice?

That they are in PERFECT condition… it’s as if I haven’t even read them…
(There are some exceptions from when I was younger though…)

Aside from being a major Friends fan, name something else you enjoy besides reading.

I LOVE MUSIC!  If I’m not watching friends or reading a book, I’ll be listening to music or playing either the guitar or piano.  I have more piano books than I can even count now and my favorite song to play on the guitar, of course, is “Smelly Cat” by Phoebe Buffay.

Thanks so much for being here today, Beighley! :)

Yaaaaa Welcome!  Thanks for having me! ;)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Emery reminds me of your sister too :)

Great answers!! Even if you did admit you like Twilight! HAH!

:P

Jessica L. Brooks (coffeelvnmom) said...

I didn't want to take away from the interview, but Effie has to be the best choice for someone NOT to be stuck on an island with! :)

(Now that I'm watching Arrow, I have a totally different idea of the kind of person I would like to be "stuck" with, so to speak!)