Just Tell the Story

You write to communicate to the hearts and minds of others what's burning inside you.  And we edit to let the fire show through the smoke.  ~Arthur Polotnik


I've learned yet another lesson the past few days.  Just tell the story.  

Long bouts of editing drain me.  I find myself staring at the words, sick of them, wondering what I was thinking.  Why did I think that part was necessary?  What am I trying to say here? Does this even make sense?

Arthur Polotnik's quote speaks to me because months ago I felt the story burning inside of me, the need to share it with the hearts and minds of others.  The feeling is still there, but the fire isn't burning as strong - this editing is getting in the way.  Being concerned about too many do's and don'ts has begun to stifle my voice, Hallie's voice.  

It's time to take Mr. Polotnik's advice.  Time to remember the point of all this.  I'm going to stop analyzing things word for word and go back to the beginning - the part where I had one goal: telling the story.  

I will show what's burning inside of me.  I will edit to let fire show through the smoke.


4 comments:

Elana Johnson said...

Oh, I love your last line. That's exactly what editing/revising can do. Brilliant!

Natalie Murphy said...

I agree with Elana, that last line was amazing.

Shannon O'Donnell said...

I have always loved that quote! Do it, and you'll be a happier author. (I wish I could find a way to do it more easily) :-)

VR Barkowski said...

Well done and what an extraordinary quote! Thank you for sharing.

Voice is all about violating the rules. So break the rules you need to in order to tell your story in your voice. Chin up, pen down, full speed ahead!