Friday Focus: You don't need anything else

"You are a writer. Right now. With only what you have in your head as it is. You don't need anything else. You are a writer. You just need to keep writing. Don't let the Writing Fairy tell you that you aren't. That you need something more, that you're pretending to be something you're not. Hemmingway wasn't Hemmingway when he started. He was just a guy named Ernest who sat down at his typewriter."
~Joseph Devon, "The Myth of the Writing Fairy"

Happy Friday!


11 comments:

Lola Sharp said...

Yeah...and at least our name isn't Ernest. ;)

Happy weekend, Jessica!
Love,
Lola

Jessica L. Brooks (coffeelvnmom) said...

Ha ha -- you make a good point, Lola. Happy weekend to you too! =)

James Garcia Jr said...

Hi, Snip! It is always good to remind ourselves that we are writers, whether we make any money doing it or not (speaking for myself, of course *sad face*). Seriously, I really don't think amounts of readers or amounts of money have anything to do with the definition of the word: writer. And having few of either makes it difficult to soldier on.
Thanks for the reminder.

-Jimmy

I guess it's going to rain for a week, isn't it? Oh well, I'm on vacation for two!! Talk to you soon.

Linda G. said...

True. And good to remember. :)

Julie Musil said...

You know what? I really needed to hear this today! Thank you so much.

Travener said...

I'll try to remember that.

I haven't had illusions of being the next Hemingway since I was in college.

Robyn Bavati said...

Once again you've picked a fabulous quote. I particularly like the last bit about Hemingway.

Anita said...

Yes you are a writer! :)
And the advice I always hear, is - Keep writing!

Have a peaceful and fulfilling new year.

Theresa Milstein said...

I love this. I'm going to share it soon. Thank you!

Anita said...

Here's a shout out from the Amen corner!
Amen! :)

microsoft outlook exchange said...

Wow! That was inspiring!