Summer Reading

I'm back home after going on an annual vacation with my friend and our kids for a few days.  (And there's actually still a few hairs left on my head. Shocking!)

Somehow I wasn't thinking when I was packing for the four of us (big surprise there) and for some reason I failed to pack ALL of my ms work. So here I was thinking I'd have all of this time in the evenings to sit down and brainstorm after the kids were in bed, and I had absolutely nothing to go by (and refused to write more than 2 pages for fear I would repeat myself). Definitely disappointing.

I did have an unusual idea though - something popped into my head that I would love to start just for the fun of it - a sort of ongoing blogging topic just for kicks.  (You will all either 1) find it a little entertaining and get a chuckle out of it occasionally or 2) think I am crazy and wonder what I am putting in my coffee.  Either way, it's entertaining to me - so that's the important thing, right?)

Friday (a few days before we headed out of town) I hit up my local Borders and took advantage of their latest BOGO offer.

I completed one of the books before leaving town on Sunday and am half-way through another one, but am having a hard time sticking with it.  Has anyone read Julie & Julia?(http://www.amazon.com/Julie-Julia-Recipes-Apartment-Kitchen/dp/031610969X)  There are some funny moments (lol ones for me, in fact), but I am having a hard time getting past the "GD" word. 

Am I the only one bothered by that specific word?  Seems like you can say every curse word under the sun to me and it won't phase me - but if I see or hear that one, it really turns me off. (Which I have read in Julie & Julia at least 7 times or more by now.)  Aside from that, it's a cute book - if you don't mind ignoring the culinary talk. (Half of the time she mentions meals in French and I have absolutely no idea what she is talking about.  I finally decided to just imagine a big Thanksgiving turkey each time she mentions another term in French just so I have some sort of visual.  With a nice big steaming cup of coffee next to it, of course.)

Summer reading is a hot topic these days on the internet and in entertainment magazines.  So I would love to know what you all have read so far, or are planning on reading.  (Plus, I am using this as a sort of research as well for my own writing - to get a feel of what people like.  Way more informative than reading reviews, IMO.)

Well I haven't had coffee in hours - and am going to go get some before sending the kids to bed (as soon as it gets dark enough).  And never mind, my husband has just informed me that it is too late to get coffee. *enter downcast look spread across my face here* 

Oh - and my friend told me about this neat trick to use on MS word that I had no clue about, so I'm going to see if it works on my comp.  Hopefully I will figure it out so she'll stop giggling about how absolutely clueless I can be about the obvious most of the time.

- Enjoy your coffee down to the very last drop. 
(I'm trying out signatures. Hopefully in a few days a really awesome one will flow from the tips of my fingers out of the blue.  Just be glad I didn't use the first one that came to me, which was even more lame. And no, I'm not even about to share it for fear of pair after pair of eyes rolling as it is read, therefore changing the pressure of the atmosphere and resulting in a cataclysmic - wow I spelled that correctly on my first try! - change in the weather or something like that.  Wait! No! Don't roll your eyes!!!)

3 comments:

Elana Johnson said...

That word bothers me too, so you're not alone.

Alisa Jacobs said...

I'm with you - it's the only curse that really offends me. Although, I really try to avoid OMG as well unless I'm praying. =)

BTW, if you need translations of the French, let me know. 'Twas my minor in college!

Jessica L. Brooks (coffeelvnmom) said...

Thanks Alisa. I don't say OMG either - even when I type it I am thinking "gosh". lol