Dear Author

Dear (insert name of your favorite author here),

I absolutely love your books.  I love how you make me feel as though I'm right there standing with the MC, love how I'm sucked in from the very first sentence.  I love the characters you create, the way you intertwine them into the story perfectly giving details along the way, but not too much.  I love feeling as though the exact same things could happen to me, or someone I know, that nothing is beyond believable even though your what you write is fiction.  To sum it up, I love you your work.

The reason I'm writing you today is because I know you've written a few books now (not because I'm a stalker but because I've read them like a hundred a few times), and I wanted to ask how long it took for you to get to where you are.  How long were you writing before you were able to get an agent?  Did you have a hard time with rejections?  I only ask because I'm getting ready to start querying and, in all honesty, it would be really nice to know that you didn't just wake up one day as brilliant as you are now ever and get an agent on the first try.  

Thank you for taking the time to read this letter.  I look forward to hearing from you and if I do, the letter will immediately go into a frame next to my stack of your books and wish you continued success. 

Sincerely,

Your biggest fan   A new writer    A fellow novelist

******

So. I would love to send this to one of my favorite authors.  But I may look a little crazy.  On the flip side though, couldn't this be a dream of mine, to have other writers *eventually* feel this way about me too?  (Okay, not the stalker part.  But I think you figured that out on your own.)   
Isn't that what we are trying to do when we write from our hearts?  Pull in our readers, make them feel as though they're there, entertain them without sounding like we're trying too hard,  and have them love us? (As writers.)  Mmm-hm.  That's what I thought.


12 comments:

Sarah Simas said...

I totally relate to that letter! That's why I try to get interviews with authors, so I can grill them on what makes their work rock. Believe me, several of my inquiry letters for interviews sound just like that! lol

You made me laugh! Thanks! :)

Davin Malasarn said...

This is just my opinion, so feel free to ignore it. I'd suggest you send the letter, but without those questions added on at the end. While those questions are interesting, and the answers may be comforting somehow, chances are, the answers to the questions won't help you in any way. Because of that, it might be nice just to send a letter without asking for anything in return. Just send out some good karma, or perhaps ask the author a question about the actual work. Speak to them as a reader/writer, rather than from the standpoint of someone trying to get published.

Jessica L. Brooks (coffeelvnmom) said...

Oh Davin, I would never send this letter, for fear of looking like a stalker! lol

Though now you've got me thinking that may be a neat idea... just for fun! (Not the asking questions part, but just sending a letter!) Wow! I'd never thought of actually DOING it! ;)

Davin Malasarn said...

I think you should definitely do it. I know as a writer I'd love to get a letter like this. I've written a few of them myself, and occasionally someone writes back, and that's always very cool.

Elana Johnson said...

I so want to send that letter! To quite a few authors, actually. And yes, wouldn't it be cool to get letters like that. Maybe I will send mine out...

Anita said...

Many years ago, I'd write to authors, adoringly - hoping to get a response. I'd put my "best" writing in the letter and tell them in lots of words what my opinion was.
At some point, it occurred to me that they may be getting a thousand of these letters, and that if read, it was only a skimming; that they already know how good they are from being on the best sellers list.
So, I learned to pack my power punch into a very short letter that was soft, but very direct, i.e. the compliment and a general question requiring only a general answer.
Even though an author may be successful, I believe he/she is still very busy working on the next success, trying to maintain the confidence that we assume they have lots of.
Not that I've written to lots of published people, but I've had feedback from a few when I changed my approach.

Just read your response to Davin while writing my comment.
I don't feel that there's anything wrong with writing to authors. Your "pretend" letter doesn't sound like that of a stalker. :)
You may get a response, but if not, at least it would be cathartic. :)

sarahjayne smythe said...

I think we'd all like to be thought of like that and I think if I was ever in a position to receive that letter, I hope I'd still be able to appreciate it.

Shannon O'Donnell said...

Oh, wow! Is it too corny to say those are "my thoughts exactly"?!

Great, great post! :-)

Jessica L. Brooks (coffeelvnmom) said...

LOL Shannon, no it isn't! Ha!

Anita, what you said is why I never planned on actually sending one in the first place...because I knew it would probably never even get ready anyway! Glad you don't think I sound stalker-ish;)

Elana, if you do, please let us know what happens!

Sarahjayne, that's exactly what I was thinking. I'd love to get something like that, eventually.

John Ettorre said...

I don't think any writer worth reading would ever think of the writer of such a letter as a stalker. They'd just appreciate the praise, and remember when they were in your shoes.

Cassandra Frear said...

I have been enjoying your blog and your tweets.

Loved the tweet yesterday about the coffee shop. That's why I created a virtual coffee shop in my mind and eventually put it into a blog. There wasn't a good one nearby. Eventually, I realized that the coffee shop in my mind was far more enjoyable than most of the real ones.

This makes me sound crazy. But I have a feeling you will understand. And if you still want a coffee shop, you can stop by mine anytime!

Jennifer Shirk said...

Happy Monday! Gave you an award. :)