Letting Go of Your Writing

Sometimes you just have to let go.  It's hard to do that, especially with what you've worked on the most, devoted so much time to, held on with all your might, tried to save.  I'd read fellow authors say that very thing and thought they were crazy.  Don't let go, make it work!  You're a writer, don't give up!  

Now, I know exactly what they meant.  A part in ILYU was holding up the flow.  No matter how hard I tried, how much I cut or re-wrote, nothing could save it.  I felt as though it was vital to the overall story, that taking it out wouldn't set up the feeling later on.  But...

I had to cut it.  And the relief I felt when going from four pages to one was great.  Never thought I'd say that about something that sucked up so much of my time.  

I've printed out and let go of my final draft.  It's time to start querying, to put ILYU into the agents' hands.  I know, without a doubt, I'm nearing the end.  I can see the finish line.  I want to sprint forward and break it, but can't.  

And so, I have to let go again, to loosen my grip, leave it in the agents' hands, not mine.  These lessons keep falling right into my lap.

4 comments:

Anne Gallagher said...

Congratulations Jessica! There's nothing like knowing you made the right decision. Good Luck as you hunt for perfect agent.

Susie Talbot said...

Fantastic! Letting go works with a lot of things. Good advice to all writers. Wow...now just get that book into the right hands. I want to read it!

Tara said...

I love that feeling, it's freeing somehow.

Now, go forth and query :)

sarahjayne smythe said...

Congratulations on getting to this point. It's a great feeling, isn't it? Good luck with your queries.

Oh, and btw, I'm here from Anne's over at Piedmont Writer. :)