It's all about love


So most books -- especially YA (since that's the category my head has been submerged in for over a year now) have a love story entwined into the plot. Call me crazy, but I love a good old-fashioned love triangle. I know some people are getting tired of those, but I'm announcing right here, right now, that I'm not one of them. (This might come back to kick me in the backside later, but -- get it? ha ha. But. -- this is how I'm feeling... this month, anyway.)

For me, the love triangle doesn't have to be "she likes him and he likes her but this guy also likes her and she can't choose between the two of them", it just has to have one person the MC likes, a LOT, and another person that also has his/her emotions invested in the MC -- whom some readers will connect with, and possibly root for.

Now, why did I bring up the love triangle? Oh, yes. Because next week I'm going to be doing some short and sweet posts on writing about love. Now before you get all excited and think I'm going to talk about how to WRITE it, I'm not. I would much rather discuss ways we are inspired to write about it. Music. Pictures. Poems. Books. Things we see/hear on a daily basis that knock us in the head and give us wonderful, romantical ideas. You know. The mushy stuff.

So start thinking of a few things you'd like to share. It's going to be a love-fest! (Okay, maybe that's a bit extreme, but I think you know what I mean.) Oh, and if you're needing a little something to get you in the mood, check out the song below.

Currently inspired by: Florence + The Machine - Cosmic Love



5 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Jessica, with me it's mainly love poetry. I write for 10+ and they are not that ready for a love interest at that age. However, my next book, I need a change, is a love story, so fingers crossed that people will enjoy it.

Andi said...

ooo I can't wait to read about what inspires writing love! yay- good topic!

beck nicholas said...

I love, love, love a love story. And a love triange speaks to me because as if I'm not already terrible at making decisions!!
=)
Looking forward to next week!

Jessica L. Brooks (coffeelvnmom) said...

Carole - You're right... that age group isn't ready for that topic! And your next book sounds interesting. I really like the title! =)

Andi - YAY! Be ready to share stuff you've liked or been inspired by!

Beck - Ha ha. That's why it's so fun to read. The characters have to make the decisions, not us! As for writing about it, sometimes those decisions are a bit harder, aren't they?

Lila Swann said...

YES! I love love-triangles too! It makes me so upset when I see nearly everyone (authors, critics, agents, editors) bemoaning the love triangle. I think it's entirely plausible and I absolutely adore them. Two boys are always better than one! :)

I love writing love stories too. My novel has a heavy romance bent (and YES, a love triangle, because I love them) and I find they're often my best scenes. Why? Because I love writing them, mostly because I love the two boys! There's just something so escapist about writing love interests for your main character.